What Is Financial Abuse?
Be aware of the signs of change. Help elders manage that change with dignity and peace of mind.
Most often the abuse is based on a sense of entitlement, or early inheritance access, and occurs through such surreptitious acts as:
- Stealing a senior’s money, pension cheques, or possessions.
- Committing fraud, forgery or extortion.
- Cashing pension or other cheques without authorization.
- Use of the adult’s money for purposes other than what was intended by the adult.
- Sharing a senior’s home without paying a fair share of the expenses.
- Unduly pressuring a senior to:
Move from, sell or relinquish  their home/other personal  property
Invest or take out money
Buy alcohol or drugs
Make or change a will
Sign legal documents they do  not understand
Change or keep their marital  status
Give money to relatives,  caregivers, or friends
Engage in paid work to bring in  extra money
Care for children or grandchildren
Victoria M. Young
645 Norfolk St.N.